When you create a document with a cover and a Table of Contents, you may want to start page numbering a little way into the document.
This is what you do:
1. Place the cursor on the page at which you want numbering to start.
2. Click the Page Layout tab.
3. Click Breaks in the Page Setup sub-tab.
4. Click Next Page.
5. Click the Insert tab.
6. Click Page Number in the Header & Footer group and select where the page number is to be placed.
To start numbering from the current page, you must choose to delete links to previous pages.
7. To do this, click Link to Previous in the Navigation group, so that the button is no longer active.
8. Right-click page numbering – on the page where you want numbering to start – and select Format Page Numbers.
9. Select Start at and define at which number you want page numbering to start.
10. Select page numbering on the previous pages, which are not to have numbering, and press the Delete key.
11. Click Close Header and Footer.
Numbering now starts a little way into the document according to the choices you have defined.