When you create or input an image, it consists of a single layer. When you have opened the image in Adobe Photoshop Elements, you can add one or more layers. Every layer can then be edited as if it were a single image.
This is what you do:
1. Start Adobe Photoshop Elements in Editor.
2. Click on Open in the File menu.
3. Locate the image that contains layers (e.g. a PSD file or EPS file).
4. Select the image and click on Open.
5. In the Layers palette, which appears on the right of the workspace, you will see all the layers contained in the image.
6. Click on a layer in the Layers palette to work with it.